Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Inforgraphic Example

Infographic by Amber Welch: http://d.pr/ievA
I'm drawn to this infographic first and foremost because of the content. I love to sew, so naturally I'm interested in an infographic representing one of my interests.

As far as design, the first thing that catches my eye is the old fashioned sewing machine. Then I notice the blacked out scissors/buttons/pin/thread, and finally my eyes almost simultaneously see the large needle and thimble.

The pictures aren't detailed, they are just blocked out images, but they are are strong against the background and stand out among the text, inviting me to read more on the page.

As I'm reading, I like the use of contrast (size, boldness, color, etc) of the most important words/phrases within the sentences. So even if I didn't have time to read every word, I could understand the main gist of the information being presented by merely reading the contrasted words/phrases in each section.

As far as the content goes, I like the unique facts the infographic provides. It is providing trivia-like facts that most people (even die hard crafters like me) wouldn't know, so it keeps me interested and wanting to read the next section.

I don't really have a strong reaction to the color scheme chosen. However, I really like that the majority of the page is in black, white, and gray, and that the designer reserved the teal and pink for contrasting elements. I personally don't like too much color on things I'm reading online...it distracts my brain and can actually give me a headache if I'm trying to read text amid crazy bold colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment