Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Job Aids

So, in looking for job aid ideas, I found a Job Aid for Job Aids. :) Another good resource I found for Job Aids came from ASTD, which explains different types of job aids, how to analyze a job aid's function, reviews the kind of content that should go in one, and even gives some examples.

So far, I'm leaning towards a job aid for staff in a special education classroom at a high school. Special Education teachers are usually highly trained in handling behavioral problems, however, there are often cases where there would be staff in a special ed classroom who do not have this specialized training (classroom aides, substitute teachers, volunteers, etc). For that reason, a job aid of what to do in cases of behavioral problems would be a useful resource in a special education classroom.

I'm just beginning to learn about the principles of building a job aid, but from my brief research I'm imaging this job aid will most likely best be illustrated using a combination of a step-by-step and a decision table (If a student does x, then you should do y) and/or a flowchart (because the course of action on how to handle a certain behavioral issue really is dependent on varying circumstances).

The type of content I'm thinking of (this is not official, just based on my own thoughts:
Is the student using violent behavior? Yes.

If the student is using violent behavior, first remove the other students from the vicinity.

Is the student hurting him/herself?

If yes, call office security.

If no, wait for 5 minutes and allow the student the opportunity to cool down on his own

etc....

A job aid I kind-of like:

Pros Cons
  • color scheme
  • text is clear and easy to read
  • the flow is clear and not complicated; I like how the arrows show the flow either as a one way direction or that the flow of information goes both ways.
  • I'm not digging the icons. The telephone is so old fashioned (which sometimes can be cool, but this is a technology job aid, so the retro isn't working for me) and I don't care for the "computer". I like the keyboard, but not the monitor.
A job aide I'm not crazy about:
ProsCons
  • I like the humor used
  • I like the start is a green circle; and the end is red (but I'd like it better as either a circle or a stop-sign)
  • I like the box with the title and description of the purpose of the job aid.
  • Text hard to read; the text on the pics is hard to read and covers up the pics, making them irrelevant, but the black on the gradient text is hard to read too. The black text has too much shading. The only text I like is the white on green.
  • The squiggly lines don't add anything to me, they look squiggly just because, and not for any particular reasons; also, I want them to show the flow with
  • I don't like the mixture of gradient shapes with the solid...be consistent

Other job aids I kind-of like (I searched for flow charts, since that is what I'm thinking of developing):
Other job aids I'm not crazy about:

1 comment:

  1. This was an excellent reflection on job aids. I can really start to see your design principles and preferences. Good strong reflection Amber!

    ReplyDelete