Saturday, February 23, 2013

Job Aid...another thought

So, after watching the job aid screencast I can't get that sock bun job aid out of my head.

Why you ask?

Because that is an example of a job aid I would see on Pinterest (which I use a lot). And that people (like me) would see and actually use.

I want to make sure whatever I design is USEFUL. I don't want to spend time and effort designing something that will never be looked at again after turning it into Dr. Leftwich to grade.

One thing I keep thinking about is a tutorial I made a year or so ago...

It's a quick tutorial on "How To Make Your Own T-shirt Quilt".

What I like about this tutorial is that it is about something that personally interest me. And it's something that I imagine would be useful to other crafty people who have thought to make a tshirt quilt, but they weren't quite sure how to go about it. (In fact, I designed it because I had several people see some of the quilts I had made and expressed a desire to learn how to make their own.)

I am now wondering if maybe I should a. re-do this tutorial applying the design principles I've learned in this class, b. do a different tutorial on something crafty that has similar motivation for me, or c. stick with the topic I've already chosen.

The pros of sticking to my current chosen topic: It is different than any tutorial I've done before and would require a different form (flowchart/decision chart) than my craft tutorial formats (so I would be learning something new).

The cons: My biggest worries about sticking to my chosen topic is a. what images I will get to illustrate the concepts (pushing, shoving, yelling, throwing, restraining, giving space, etc)? and b. will anyone ever use it?? Plus, I don't know a lot personally about the subject, so I have to rely on an SME in order to put together good information. (But maybe that too is a Pro, as far as getting something useful out of the exercise.)

Hmmm...

What do you think Kassie? Dr. Leftwich?  Anyone else who might be reading this????

2 comments:

  1. I like your new option better. This is perfect for a Job Aid because I could take my time doing it. It's something that I wouldn't do often, so I would need a job aid. You can get relevant pictures and explain it with much more detail than you have in your current version.

    PS: Check the grammar: "Pro as far ass getting" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the catch. I have a bandaid on my index finger and it's messing with my typing. :)

    I do like the idea of switching to something crafty for my job aid. I don't know if I will have time to do a whole tshirt quilt, but I can pick on of my smaller projects: tshirt pillow, apron, cape, etc.

    Maybe this: http://gingercake.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a62a802d970c0154321393a3970c-pi

    ReplyDelete