Friday, March 1, 2013

W8: Scaffolding

I am very familiar with the concept of scaffolding within the context of language education. In fact, scaffolding is an essential teaching strategy within the communicative approach of language teaching, which emphasizes meaningful interactions for language learning, rather than teaching grammar (grammar teaching method) or teaching students to repeat canned phrases (audio-lingual method). Scaffolding in the language classroom typically looks like this: instructors begin by modeling (I do it), then move to pair work/group performance (everyone does it together), and then to individual performance (now you do it) (Gibbons, 2002). By doing this, the instructor is slowly lowering the learner's affective filter, that is the emotional barriers that stand in the way of language learning, like feelings of embarrassment or fear of making a mistake (Krashen 1982). They are also providing the student with the necessary tools and practice needed to successfully perform the tasks set forth in the lesson's learning objectives (Rifkin, 2003).

http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/
Based on this, I think my experience with scaffolding so far have been more in line with Bush and Saye's definition of soft scaffolding: what the teachers are actively doing in the classroom to build student's abilities and confidence in order to facilitate language performance. However, of course instructors also incorporate hard scaffolding via resources and out of class practice. Actually, a very popular movement growing in the field right now is flipped classrooms, where the instructor uses resources (most commonly digital technology) to introduce concepts, grammar structures, new vocabulary, etc for students to work on individually BEFORE coming to class, so that the actual class time can be more effectively used for actual language performance.

So, What's the difference between a job aid and a scaffold?

I would say that scaffolding is the strategy of building student learning through providing encouragement, feedback, resources, practice, etc. And that a job aid is a tool used within the context of the strategy.

--------------------------------

In other news: I have chosen a definitive job aid topic. As I said in a previous post, I had decided to change my original job aid topic.

My new job aid topic is: How to make an in-the-hoop applique project on an embroidery sewing machine.

Since I tend to be overly wordy, I've decided to challenge myself: my goal is to create a clear and effective job aid using NO WORDS!

Here is an example of what I'd like to emulate:

Of course I will use text if needed. However, my goal will be to use none! Wish me luck! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amber,

    Scaffolding, in terms of instruction, is a new concept for me. However, I am familiar with structures such as "Tell, Show, Do", which is somewhat similar to the one you described where you demonstrate, do as a group and practice individually. So I think I understand the concept, its just a new term for me. I also think you are correct with your answer on the difference between scaffolding and a job aid.

    I like your idea for not using words in your job aid. However, that can be tricky. Since I am not a sewer or familiar with a lot of crafts, the example you provided is confusing to me.

    For instance,I don't know what type of material the heart is made out of, or what the white block is and what its for. It would also be helpful to know what setting the iron should be on. However, I recognize that I am not the target audience for this job aid, and perhaps these things are common knowledge to others.

    So, while I think having only graphics can be very appealing, it is important to ensure that the job aid still conveys the information necessary for the target audience.

    Does your intended target audience need prerequisite knowledge of your topic?

    ReplyDelete